Helping The Drupal Community By Spreading The Word Through Camps
In the DA Member survey this spring, community members answered the question What could/should the Drupal Association be doing (that it’s not currently doing) to build up memberships? Our survey respondents told us that it would be good to promote the Drupal Association and membership program better, and more frequently, than we’ve been doing.
As I began contacting local Camps organizers, I was reminded just what a helpful and supportive community we have. Many DrupalCamps have answered the call and started letting their local groups know that the DA exists and is here to help. We’ve been able to send out postcards, annual reports, and even our DA banner to local Camps. We’re thinking that at this rate we should get the banners stamped like a passport, because they’re beginning to be well traveled already.
DrupalCamps all over the world have local audiences that don’t always have representation at DrupalCons. So I’m excited that we are working together to make sure people know about the good work of the DA so the momentum on initiatives like Global Training Days, the Drupal.org upgrade to D7, and improvements on D.org for developers and site builders will continue.
Here are some of the ways local Camps have helped spread the word:
- In the Twin Cities, the DA banner was put up in a doorway and they mentioned DA at all of the big gatherings during the Camp
- Oxford Education Camp presented DA slides
- DrupalCamp Scotland hung the banner and talked about DA membership and DrupalCon Munich
- NYC DrupalCamp put up landing pages to promote the DA, DrupalCon Munich, and DrupalCon Portland and Megan Sanicki from the DA is stopping by to say hello to Camp attendees.
- CapitalCamp will promote the DA with a banner and table of postcards
- Frontend United promoted DrupalCon Munich and the DA
- LA DrupalCamp has a session about the DA
- DrupalCamp Gent, the DA slides were presented before the keynote of over 400 attendees
- D4D Boston had a volunteer available to reach out about the DA during the Camp
- DrupalCamp Lyon even added a DA membership option to their registration page
- DrupalCamp Vancouver mentioned the DA
- DrupalCamp Dublin presented DA slides
- DrupalCamp Helsinki spoke about the DA
- Drupal Business Summit in NYC gave a shout out about the DA
- DrupalCamp Bogota mentioned the DA
- Drupal NYC Unconference showed DA slides
Camps are regularly promoted in our DA Newsletter and you can learn more about getting fiscal sponsorship for your Camp here. If you have an upcoming Camp, make sure you get it onto the GDO calendar and if you aren’t ready for that step, just send an email with a head’s up so we know your Camp is in the early planning stages. We are definitely feeling the love! We know we’re missing a few, so we sincerely apologize if your Camp is not listed. Thank you for not only promoting the DA but in overall supporting and educating the Drupal Community!