Unified Blocks and Layouts (SCOTCH+WSCCI+Spark+Field UI) Roadmap
The Blocks and Layouts Initaitve has come a long way since its initial inception, and there are a lot of people working in this space right now. We had a phone call together (which is documented at https://docs.google.com/a/acquia.com/document/d/1sCAnSD6o7Q5sXo3H_cCRTyP...), and posted an updated roadmap that covers what each team is working on at http://drupal.org/node/1818142.
There are essentially five "prongs" of this initaitive, all working in parallel:
- Underlying APIs: Take a request, turn it into a page with a layout and blocks.
- Blocks Everywhere: Create the concept of "smart" blocks that are contextual, and ensure everything output on the page is a block.
- Blocks/Layouts UI: UI for creating landing pages, assigning layouts to them, and placing blocks into layouts.
- Spark Repsonsive Layout Builder: Dynamic layout creation using dynamic breakpoints, grids, and regions.
- Improved Field UI: Leverage layouts and regions in field UI to make a more streamlined experience.
Please see that issue if you want to know what's entailed for each, and places where you can jump in to help!