Feeds

Author

Aug 08 2019
Aug 08

Our lead community developer, Alona Oneill, has been sitting in on the latest Drupal Core Initiative meetings and putting together meeting recaps outlining key talking points from each discussion. This article breaks down highlights from meetings this past week. You'll find that the meetings, while also providing updates of completed tasks, are also conversations looking for community member involvement. There are many moving pieces as things are getting ramped up for Drupal 9, so if you see something you think you can provide insights on, we encourage you to get involved.

Drupal 9 Readiness (08/05/19)

Meetings are for core and contributed project developers as well as people who have integrations and services related to core. Site developers who want to stay in the know to keep up-to-date for the easiest Drupal 9 upgrade of their sites are also welcome.

  • Usually happens every other Monday at 18:00 UTC.
  • Is done over chat.
  • Happens in threads, which you can follow to be notified of new replies even if you don’t comment in the thread. You may also join the meeting later and participate asynchronously!
  • Has a public Drupal 9 Readiness Agenda anyone can add to.
  • Transcript will be exported and posted to the agenda issue.

Symfony 4/5 compatibility

The issue, Allow Symfony 4 to be installed in Drupal 8, has had a lot of work put into it by Michael Lutz.

Contrib deprecation testing on drupal.org

Gábor Hojtsy grabbed the data and did some analysis and posted his findings to prepare for Drupal 9. The main topic of the post is to stop using drupal_set_message() now.

Examples module Drupal 9 compatibility

Andrey Postnikov posted Kharkov code sprint on where 23 issues were addressed. Follow the example code for developers project for more information. There are still a bunch of issues to review there if anyone is interested!

Module Upgrader Drupal 9 compatibility

Deprecation cleanup status - blockers to Drupal 9 branch opening

Drupal core's own deprecation testing results, there are currently 13 children issues open, most of them need reviews.

Twig 2 upgrade guide and automation and other frontend deprecations tooling

Semantic versioning for contrib projects

Now that we've come to a path forward for how we plan on supporting semver in core (core key using semver + composer.json for advanced features), the Drupal Association is planning on auditing our infrastructure to start implementing semver.

New Drupal 8.8 deprecations that may need to be backported

  • Ryan Aslett and Gábor Hojtsy did some analysis on deprecations in contrib that are new in Drupal 8.8. They found 17% of all contrib deprecated API use now is from either code deprecated in 8.7 or 8.8. Ryan Aslett looked at the toplist of those deprecations and categorized them based on whether the replacements are also introduced in 8.8 or earlier.
  • We're not backporting API's, that carries far too much semver breaking risk. If a contrib maintainer has usages of code that were deprecated in 8.8.x, and they want their module to be 9.x compatible on the day that 9.0 comes out, they can:
    • do internal version checking,
    • open another branch,
    • wait until 9.1 to be 100% compatible with all supported versions, or
    • drop support for 8.7.x.

Renaming core modules, eg. actions

  • There's a meta about renames.
  • Renaming modules can have impacts on other modules that declare a dependency on those modules. 
  • We need some way to prove that a rename doesn't break contrib modules.

Migration Initiative Meeting (08/08/19)

This meeting:

  • Usually happens every Thursday and alternates between 14:00 and 21:00 UTC.
  • Is for core migrate maintainers and developers and anybody else in the community with an interest in migrations.
  • Is done over chat.
  • Happens in threads, which you can follow to be notified of new replies even if you don’t comment in the thread. You may also join the meeting later and participate asynchronously!
  • Has a public migration meeting agenda anyone can add to.
  • Transcript will be exported and posted to the agenda issue.
  • For anonymous comments, start with a bust in silhouette emoji. To take a comment or thread off the record, start with a no entry sign emoji.

Some issues need review:

  1. Add test of D7 term localized source plugin
  2. Migrate D7 synchronized fields
  3. Ensure language is not Null in translation source queries 
  4. Language specific term (i18n_taxonomy) should not rely on entity translation in D7 taxonomy term migration
  5. Migrate D6 and D7 node revision translations to D8 
  6. Migrate D7 i18n taxonomy term language 
  7. Use the lock service for migration locks 
  8. Undeprecate Drupal\comment\Plugin\migrate\source\d6\Comment::prepareComment() and mark as internal
  9. Create Migration Lookup service 
  10. Validate Migration State should load test fixture
  11. Boolean Field On and Off Label not Migrating
  12. Assert plural labels exist on migrate upgrade form
  13. Migrate UI - review help text
Aug 02 2019
Aug 02

Our lead community developer, Alona Oneill, has been sitting in on the latest Drupal Core Initiative meetings and putting together meeting recaps outlining key talking points from each discussion. This article breaks down highlights from meetings this past May. You'll find that the meetings, while also providing updates of completed tasks, are also conversations looking for community member involvement. There are many moving pieces as things are getting ramped up for Drupal 9, so if you see something you think you can provide insights on, we encourage you to get involved.

Out of the box meeting  07/30/19

Issues were being worked on by, Ofer ShaalKeith Jay, and Mark Conroy.

Still needs work:

Needs to be reviewed:

Admin UI meeting! 07/31/19

Meetings are for core and contributed project developers as well as people who have integrations and services related to core. 

  • Usually happens every other Wednesday at 2:30pm UTC.
  • Is done over chat.
  • Happens in threads, which you can follow to be notified of new replies even if you don’t comment in the thread. You may also join the meeting later and participate asynchronously!
  • There are roughly 5-10 minutes between topics for those who are multitasking to follow along.

Beta & Stable issue blockers that are not components and need design:

  • Refer to the spreadsheet of Claro components to find other items that need worked on. Found in the "other design issues" tab.
  • Also, there are several issues that are being marked as beta&stable blockers.
    • If you catch any issue that you think that needs design work please add them there so the design team is aware of them.
    • If you want to go through any of those and add screenshots or other info we'll really appreciate that!

Editor role next steps:

Tables on mobile:

  • Table overflow on mobile currently needs reworked.
  • There is a design proposal currently under review.
    • Andrew Nevins (anevins), recommend to look into accessible-only solutions to this problem, as making a table responsive (apart from simply adding a horizontal scrollbar) can disrupt the semantics of the table to people who need it the most.
Jul 26 2019
Jul 26

Our lead community developer, Alona Oneill, has been sitting in on the latest Drupal Core Initiative meetings and putting together meeting recaps outlining key talking points from each discussion. This article breaks down highlights from meetings this past May. You'll find that the meetings, while also providing updates of completed tasks, are also conversations looking for community member involvement. There are many moving pieces as things are getting ramped up for Drupal 9, so if you see something you think you can provide insights on, we encourage you to get involved.

Out of the box meeting  07/16/19

At this meeting we discussed the following issues:

Drupal 9 readiness

Meetings are for core and contributed project developers as well as people who have integrations and services related to core. Site developers who want to stay in the know to keep up-to-date for the easiest Drupal 9 upgrade of their sites are also welcome.

  • Usually happens every other Monday at 18:00 UTC.
  • Is done over chat.
  • Happens in threads, which you can follow to be notified of new replies even if you don’t comment in the thread. You may also join the meeting later and participate asynchronously!
  • Has a public Drupal 9 Readiness Agenda anyone can add to.
  • Transcript will be exported and posted to the agenda issue.

Meeting Highlights from 07/08/19

Multiple branch compatibility, semantic versioning, and composer.json proposal:

Schema version and database updates hooks in Drupal 9.

Split off SchemaInstaller from schema.inc, the question is how long should 8xxx hooks be kept. They will need to be updated to D9, but should we have people update to 8.last first, and fire all of those updates before allowing them to update to D9 and start the 9xxx series of hooks?                                         

We discussed that at least for now, we will leave the minimum at 8000 for the sake of running updates, or have some special handling for when one is running the D9 codebase with a 8xxx schema to force an update before one's site works, or something along those lines.

Deprecation cleanup status -  blockers to D9 branch opening

Examples module for D9 is looking for maintainer(s)

Module renames, action and menu blockers

Drupal core cross-initiative meeting 07/24/19 

Media

Status of Media

  • Focus is on WYSIWYG, working on three things.
  • Representing media in WYSIWYG is going quite well. Well tested, some CSS things outstanding, following Cristina and Lauri discussion.

CMI 2

Status of CMI 2

  • Big API patch landed, not blocker anymore.
  • The ball is in their court, as the module is not yet ready to review.

Workspaces

Status of Workspaces

  • On track for stable workspaces. Currently working on:
    • fixing the bugs,
    • sub-workspaces, and
    • merging (not written yet because it needs the hierarchy).

Blocked Items In Workspaces

  • Reviews for RTBC and Needs review issues in workspaces
    • Remove workspace association entity type (tracking entity revisions vs. workspace) and replace with custom storage
    • Revisionable entity types cannot be uninstalled if their code does not exist anymore. Issues blocked are:

Claro

Status of Claro

  • General components need to be unblocked for beta / Drupal 8.8.
    • The Media library is the most important.
      • Currently doing research there.
    • Status report page UI.
    • Some other small components.
  • There is a new designer joining full time.

Blocked Items in Claro

Auto Updates

Status of Auto Updates

  • Lucas can now move forward as he was unblocked by DA last week.
  • PSA feed is the first phase, once it is there we will Drupal set message on every page.
    • This will go to core once/if possible.
    • There will be a contrib release first to figure out bugs.
  • Checking for update eligibility would stay in contrib, there are various readiness checkers that are tagged services. (Is read only, do you have db update, local modifications.)
    • All readiness checks are in 8 and 7 and committed.
  • Next step will be an in-place update with a quasi-patch zip file, there is an issue with passing tests. (It has a manifest to know deleted files, other files drop-in replacements.)
    • Ftp will make this available.
    • Will not work for dev branches or hacked sites.
    • Using composer will not be supported in the first version, only for tgz.

Migrate

Status of Migrate

  • Ideally do an audit step, Mike proposed a framework for this, very high priority.

Blocked Items in Migrate

Drupal 9

Status of Drupal 9

  • Deprecation fixes going in core going very well, down to 29 individual issues, all have issues, once the Drupal::l() lands, we will be down to double digits of instances.
  • Symfony 5 and 4.4 is in heavy development, we don't know what to adapt to right now, so we are in a holding pattern waiting for what is going to happen there.
  • Symfony 4.3 has some fails.

Composer

Status of Composer

  • Moving along pretty well.
  • Wikimedia merge plugin (original solution to core directory and product scaffold files) is to be removed, so we can move closer to the unofficial composer on its way to being official.
    • We don't know if anyone is relying on it.
  • Core vendor cleanup plugin should be reusable.
  • Scaffolding introduced a random fail, looking at that.
  • Templates are the last part when we can change drupal.org packaging, when the tarballs would be created by composer eventually.
  • Spreading out to solving "all things wrong with composer."
    • Eg. subtree split to only get core modules you need not all of them.
    • Lightning should be able to be built on drupal.org.
Jul 11 2019
Jul 11

Our lead community developer, Alona Oneill, has been sitting in on the latest Drupal Core Initiative meetings and putting together meeting recaps outlining key talking points from each discussion. This article breaks down highlights from meetings this past May. You'll find that the meetings, while also providing updates of completed tasks, are also conversations looking for community member involvement. There are many moving pieces as things are getting ramped up for Drupal 9, so if you see something you think you can provide insights on, we encourage you to get involved.

Drupal 9 readiness meeting! 07/08/19 

Meetings are for core and contributed project developers as well as people who have integrations and services related to core. Site developers who want to stay in the know to keep up-to-date for the easiest Drupal 9 upgrade of their sites are also welcome.

  • Usually happens every other Monday at 18:00 UTC.
  • Is done over chat.
  • Happens in threads, which you can follow to be notified of new replies even if you don’t comment in the thread. You may also join the meeting later and participate asynchronously!
  • Has a public agenda anyone can add to.
  • Transcript will be exported and posted to the agenda issue.

Drupal-check and Upgrade status updates

Drupal 7 migration path UX improvements to do

Started work on "create an audit plugin class/manager for migrations", in an attempt to provide a user interface for situations where the migration path can’t be determined without some input from the user.

Removing deprecated API uses from core

As per Drupal core's own deprecation testing results we have moved somewhat in the past month, therefore by resolving "Replace calls to format_string()" we could cut down to less than 50% of the current number. Previously we indicated that we are looking into core’s use of deprecated APIs as an indicator as to when the Drupal 9 branch could be opened, where we can do the actual Symfony update as well as PHP version requirements updates. Doing this so as to have a branch for people to test with sooner than later, there by resolving the deprecated API uses is in that critical path.

The roadmap for simpletest out of Drupal

  • A published roadmap for simpletest is live. 
  • There are a few issues here:
    • There's a module called simpletest in core that should be deprecated.
    • There's a class called TestBase which should be deprecated.
    • There's a simpletest UI that might end up living in D9 as testing_ui.
    • There's a test runner called run_tests.sh that needs to be refactored for all of the above.

Admin UI meeting (07/10/19)

Meetings are for core and contributed project developers as well as people who have integrations and services related to core. 

  • Usually happens every other Wednesday at 2:30pm UTC.
  • Is done over chat.
  • Happens in threads, which you can follow to be notified of new replies even if you don’t comment in the thread. You may also join the meeting later and participate asynchronously!
  • There are roughly 5-10 minutes between topics for those who are multitasking to follow along.
  • The agenda is public and anyone can add new topics in the document.

Permissions and other requirements for the new Content Editor role:

The "Add new Content Editor" role to "Standard Profile" issue is open.

The basic features we identified are:

  •   Create and edit new content - articles and pages
  •   Use the basic HTML text format
  •   View unpublished content
  •   Create and edit terms (tags and categories)
  •   Access the administration theme

One of the suggestions was to base Editor permissions on what Umami already set up and add all the permissions that are needed in all modules that come with core (even that they come disabled by default).

Review and approve the Roadmap to stabilize Claro

Issue "Roadmap to stabilize Claro" was opened.

Status of the tabledrag component

  • Table drag style update is in progress. From a design perspective, the current table drag and drop is good enough for a MVP(beta) Claro version.
Jul 08 2019
Jul 08

Our lead community developer, Alona Oneill, breaks down highlights from Drupal Core Initiative Meetings this past week. You'll find that the meetings, while also providing updates of completed tasks, are also conversations looking for community member involvement. There are many moving pieces as things are getting ramped up for Drupal 9, so if you see something you think you can provide insights on, we encourage you to get involved.

Out of the box initiative meeting (07/02/19)

At this meeting we spoke with the developers at Blackfire.

  • We have a working account with Blackfire to try out Umami,
  • Also tried New Relic - which showed that search indexing is taking a long time,
  • Can we change how Umami installs so that long steps can be skipped to save time?

Issues to work on this week:

Admin UI meeting (07/03/19)

Meetings are for core and contributed project developers as well as people who have integrations and services related to core. 

  • Usually happens every other Wednesday at 2:30pm UTC.
  • Is done over chat.
  • Happens in threads, which you can follow to be notified of new replies even if you don’t comment in the thread. You may also join the meeting later and participate asynchronously!
  • There are roughly 5-10 minutes between topics for those who are multitasking to follow along.
  • the agenda is public and anyone can add new topics *in the document*.

Dialog Issue

  • Dialog style issue.
  • Issues in the core.
  • Proposed the idea that we would try to do research on dialog solutions in Claro and replace jQuery UI dialog with something in our scope of work. An a11y maintainer didn’t like the recommendation and after doing some more research on this it feels like very hard because we might not be able to keep BC at least 100%.

Claro Alpha 4 Goals

Documentation to Work On

  • We should open an issue for tracking our plans for alpha releases, as well as beta and Roadmap.
  • There is supporting documentation for Claro here.
  • Strategic-initiatives needs to be updated.
  • The Proposal to use PostCSS for Claro in core.
  • Design sprint at DrupalCon Europe:
    • Several designers will attend the event, so some would like to have a sprint or focused BoFs.
  • Editor role:
    • We are still missing part of the `Define the new set of permissions` before we can create the patch.
  • Vertical tabs:
    • Mobile design is troublesome, because they are not vertical anymore and behave like the details element. The problem on the design here is that we can't have vertical tabs in small devices, they need to be one  below the other. And we can't have the title above and the content 5 tabs later after all the titles.

About Drupal Sun

Drupal Sun is an Evolving Web project. It allows you to:

  • Do full-text search on all the articles in Drupal Planet (thanks to Apache Solr)
  • Facet based on tags, author, or feed
  • Flip through articles quickly (with j/k or arrow keys) to find what you're interested in
  • View the entire article text inline, or in the context of the site where it was created

See the blog post at Evolving Web

Evolving Web